Tuesday 1 February 2011

West Midland Safari Park weekend - 29/30th Jan 2011

On Saturday I decided to drive over an hour to have a drive around the Safari Park. In the winter they are only open weekends. I was surprised how busy it was considering the rest of the park is closed. I pay to get in, start driving around, take a handful of shots and then notice that battery symbol flashing at me. As much as I love my D300, the only gripe I have about it is that it hardly gives you much warning before the battery packs in altogether. I managed to fire off about another dozen shots and then it died. I reached into the camera bag...... no spare batteries. I had charged 2 and forgot to pick them up. I was soooooo mad at myself. I was not even a quarter of the way around the safari park. So I drive around the rest taking record shots with my new phone. Good phone, but has a pretty crappy 5mp camera that can not deal with contrasty situations AT ALL. Then the battery dies in that too. So I eat my lunch and then head home. I made the decision to return the next day and take the eldest boy with me with his camera. It is nice to spend some quailty time with him and nice that he shares the same love of wildlife and photography that I do, lol!

Here are some of my favourite shots from the weekend.

Fvourite shot from day 1 (ok, almost my only shot from day 1, pmsl!)

Cheetah

DSC_1950

It seemed to be mating time for these animals. Like other deer like species, the males lick the air to see if the female are in heat.

DSC_1944

Is this my best side?

DSC_1945



Wallaby

DSC_1925

Wolf - took a chance and opened the window a crack to get this shot, shooting through glass was HARD

DSC_1938

DSC_2117

White tiger shot through mesh fence, turned out better than the tigers who weren't behind fences but had to be shot through glass :-(

DSC_2105

White lions, all shot through the car window

DSC_2035

DSC_2072

DSC_2031

DSC_2045

DSC_2077

Cheetah on day 2.

DSC_1974

My favourite shot of day 2, we went around twice and the sun came out in the afternoon.

DSC_2196

Is it obvious I love big cats?? I would have brought a cheetah home with me if it wouldn't have mauled me to death, lol! Might have helped get rid of the 2 bloody cats from next door and stopped them from crapping all over my garden, terrorising my rabbits and trying (and succeeding once) to kill my garden birds. Anyway, I digress!

I did manage to get 1 shot I liked off my camera phone, of the boy taken while we were having lunch. Was bloomin' awful of me, so cropped me out, but I like it of him.

30/365

0 comments:

Post a Comment